Tuesday Green #53

by Becky Elmuccio on November 12, 2013

gardening

Welcome to Tuesday Greens #53!

I tackled a bunch in the backyard this weekend! Putting the garden to bed for the season is just about done. I made peace with the large plot that we used for squash and beans a couple of summers ago. Tomato needs some space to run and we need to rethink how and where we are growing food in the backyard. So, we went from this:

Unintentional Meadow

to discovering that I may have been starting an arboretum in the space:

tuesday greensto this:

tuesday greens

The past two years we have not used the space to grow food. It was just too much to balance for now. I think I may come back to having a flower bed against the garage since I like the brick with which to contrast different blooms. We’ll see what plays out next year. Have you ever had to reassess your garden layout?

Last week, we had some great recipes, winter cold remedies and how to guides for keeping your gardens safe from pesky animals. Our most popular post was Butterscotch Maple Bars from Peeling Back the Onion Layers. Talk about a great dessert to plan for the upcoming holidays and serve with your hot beverage of choice! Thanks for sharing, Dawn!

Photo courtesy of Peeling Back the Onion Layers

So, what’s everyone got to share this week? Please be sure to pop by each other’s posts and to link up directly to this week’s linky in your post so that others may swing on by. Have a great week everyone!

Vickie November 12, 2013 at 1:33 am

Good evening, Becky. Thanks for hosting! I will have to come back in the morning to read the other posts because I got in so early! Have a great week!

Barb @ A Life in Balance November 12, 2013 at 6:28 am

Thanks for hosting! Yes, we’re re-assessing how we grow things. The temporary raised beds are now too time-intensive for us. We’ll be building permanent beds next spring.

Christine @ onceuponatimeinabedofwildflowers November 12, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks for hosting! This week I shared “26 Books to Celebrate the Return of Light!” Normally I don’t like to talk about Christmas-y things before Thanksgiving… but this does take a little bit of planning to pull off!

angi November 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

It’s always good to rethink how we do things. Have you thought about growing your garden around the perimeter of your fence. I’ve seen this before, where the garden is up against the fence but about 2′ out. It gives quite a bit of garden space but yet leaves a large yard area to play – which is really important.

Dawn @ Peeling Back the Onion Layers November 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thanks so much for featuring my GF Butterscotch Maple Bars! I hope they spread some allergy-friendly joy this holiday season! 🙂

amber November 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hi There Becky,

So excited to find another blogger that focuses on green living! Today I’ve shared two posts: (1) how to decrease kitchen waste and (2) how to make waste free smoothies.

Have a great week!

Be Well,
–Amber

Deborah Davis November 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thank for hosting this wonderful blog hop.
Today I shared “”A Passion for Pumpkins: 25 Fall Pumpkin Smoothie Recipes”.